Thursday, May 27, 2004

'For at this time I had but one thought in my mind, and that was to tell one human soul of the misery of my life, that I was tempted by what I hated, to seize something that could bring no joy. I would have humbled myself before him, as I made the boy Dick humble himself. I would have told him every thought of my mind, I would have prayed to the Lord to give him some deep knowledge, so that he could find me a salvation, and make me clean and sweet and at peace, like my own brother Frans, like my friends, like young Vorster, like the young dominee himself.

And yet, though my need was so great, I never spoke. Was it pride that prevented me? Ah, that I do not know.

The Lion of the North! How little do men see, that a man so fresh and clean as he, should call me the Lion of the North!

Ah, was it pride that prevented me? Then to be proud, I destroyed them all!'

(Alan Paton, from 'Too Late the Phalarope')

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?