Friday, February 17, 2006

Notes on Notes

1. emusic.com is pretty sweet.

2. Aesop Rock is the best rapper I have ever heard.

3. One of the most popular personal tracks of the last few weeks is the Small Brown Bike/Casket Lottery cover from a few years back of 'Under Pressure' of Bowie/Queen fame. I think I prefer it to the original.

4. Ray Charles has possibly the coolest voice I've ever heard, with the possible exception of Stevie Wonder.

5. Big Bill Broonzy's version of 'John Henry' is wicked sweet.

6. I have two songs from the Iron&Wine/Calexico split ('He Lays in the Reins' and 'Prison on Route 41'), and both are great.

7. 'If Ye Love Me', composed by Thomas Tallis, is one of the most beatiful pieces of choral music--or, for that matter, of music in general--I've ever heard.

There. I think that is enough of the superlative for today.

Comments:
I also enjoy the Iron and Wine. If you're looking for something that sounds like, oh, twelve old mexican guys jamming then check out the gypsy kings.

Eric and Matthew - been a long time - i've started kind of a travel blog so i can show the peeps oh the places i go.

likeatwostroke.blogspot.com

markus
 
hey. i posted and it's not showing on the main page. what the hell's going on?
 
Cool, I'll have to check them out. I downloaded some of the first Gloria Record EP a few weeks ago (I think I lost the cd somewhere along the way). Brought back some memories. I still like it.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?