Sunday, May 07, 2006

Notes on Notes

Some stuff that's been rocking my proverbial face:

1. 'Roll on John': Bob Dylan, from the Smithsonian Folkways Various Artists album There Is No Eye: Music for Photographs.

2. Summer in Abaddon: Pinback. I've been kind of out of the loop, so I didn't realize Pinback had come out with a new album a couple years ago. I'm not sure what the significance of the album title is for the album or the band, but 'summer in hell' certainly does not sound pleasant, with its 'hotter than hot' connotations, etc. The first track reminds me of their last album, and the rest strikes me as a little different.

3. 'Sinner's Prayer': BB Kind and Ray Charles, from the Genius Loves Company album.

4. 'If I Needed You': Townes Van Zandt and Emmylou Harris, from Texas Rain. I really dig Townes Van Zandt, and Emmylou's voice is about enough to break your heart. Other great Emmylou duets with dudes: 'Gulf Coast Highway' with Willie Nelson; 'Oh My Sweet Carolina' with Ryan Adams.

5. Anything by Matt Pond PA. Seriously. Anything. Especially The Nature of Maps.

6. Lucinda Williams' version of 'Make Me a Pallet on Your Floor', from the Ramblin' album.

Comments:
I just bought Nature of Maps... and am looking forward to it. I'm in the music purchasing mood... any other suggestions my-hippest-coolest-friend-who-knows-good-music?
 
Hmmm...if you're looking for something poppy and quirky, that Pinback album is good. If you've never listened to them, though, you might start off with their album 'Blue Screen Life', which is great. If you want some Michigan rock, LaSalle's album 'Expedition Songs' is pretty good. It's got a little bit of an edge (though not NEARLY as much edge as Small Brown Bike, of which some LaSalle peeps used to be members). The lyrics leave a little bit to be desired at times, in my opinion, but I still enjoying rocking out to it. Some cool syncopation and what not. They've also got the 'both guy and girl singer' thing going on, if you're into that. If you like old stuff, there's some interesting tracks on an album called 'American Primitive, Vol. 1 - Raw Pre-War Gospel 1926 - 1936'. I've only downloaded a few so far, but if you like that kind of thing it's good. If you're looking for some West Texas Richard Buckner influence-esque songs, you might like Townes Van Zandt. There's a lot of stuff on 'Our Mother the Mountain' that I really like. Also, I've recently downloaded a couple songs from the new Belle and Sebastian album 'The Life Pursuit'. Way poppier than some of their older stuff--very sunshiney.
 
See, this is how I can fool other people into thinking I am somewhat cool. Thanks for the suggestions. The only Belle and Sebastian album I have is Tigermilk, which I like only OK. I haven't listened to it in years.
I just bought Iron & Wine's "Cinder and Smoke" - it's so melancholy that I can only listen to one or two songs at a time without feeling dark, blue, and very unfestive.
I like Nature of Maps mucho. Perhaps, I'll continue with the Pinback album.
Thanks.
 
Yeah, the Iron and Wine/Calexico album 'In the Reins' is also very mellow and has a couple of great songs--namely, 'Prison on Route 41' and 'History of Lovers'. I also haven't listened to older Belle and Sebastian in some time, but this new one seems way peppier.

Also, since you're enjoying the Matt Pond (a good sign!), you might really like the 'Green Fury' album, too.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?