Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Notes on Notes

1. I've recently started downloading some stuff by Songs: Ohia. I'm especially digging the first two tracks off the the 2003 album 'The Magnolia Electric Co'. I also dig the fact that the main dude is from the same town as my maternal gradmother (Lorain, OH).

2. John Fahey has put together an interesting album of early American music. It's called 'American Primitive, vol. 1--Raw Pre-War Gospel 1926-36' and is on the Revenant Records label. I only have three songs from it at the moment: 'I'll Be Rested (When the Roll is Called)', by Blind Roosevelt Graves and Brother (this song is fantastic); 'Oh Death', by Charlie Patton and Bertha Lee; and 'Holy Mountain', by Elder Otis Jones. In this last one, the music stops for a piece mid-song as the elder preaches it from Isaiah. Then the music kicks back in again with energy and verve.

Did I just say 'verve'?

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?