Thursday, June 15, 2006

Notes On Notes

The best albums of 2006 so far.*

*N.B., these are the best albums that I've heard so far in 2006 (released at any time before, well, now), not what I think are the best albums released in 2006.

1. Explosions in the Sky, The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place. You might recognize some of the songs of this Midland, TX, outfit from the movie Friday Night Lights. The album, entirely instrumental, is breathtakingly beautiful, and I don't say that hastily or with typical indie-rock hyperbole. Evocative.

2. The Weakerthans, Reconstruction Site. This is by far the most intelligent pop album I've heard in a long time. Of course, as I was writing this, I realized I don't actually have the whole thing at the moment. To be remedied soon.

3. Songs: Ohia, The Magnolia Electric Co. Good midwestern rock/twang type stuff.

4. Richard Buckner, Richard Buckner. Do I really need to give an explanation?

5. Neutral Milk Hotel, In the Aeroplane, Over the Sea. All I can say is I don't know why I didn't pick this up sooner after Beauchamp's recommendation about 6 or 7 years ago.

Comments:
I like your picks. Songs:Ohia and Weakerthans are nice. i like the four track feel on that buckner album. I'm gonna check out Neutral Milk Hotel...see what yer talking about.
 
Yeah, have you heard the Magnolia Electric Co? I've downloaded a couple Songs: Ohia tracks from other albums, but I like the stuff on that one a lot more. Have you heard the Explosions in the Sky stuff?
 
dunno if this is too far gone to check, but the neutral milk hotel is goodness. only explosions in the sky is from the movie - i own it 'cause my old boss is in it!
 
glad you're enjoying the NMH. you should check out 'the earth is not a cold dead place'. seriously.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?