Sunday, August 27, 2006

Notes on Movies

The wiffle and I saw Invincible tonight. It was great. I don't care what any reviewers say. Yes, I know it stars Mark Wahlberg. Yes, I know it also stars Greg Kinnear. Yes, I know the plot is predictable and sentimental; but that's ok, because the genre of the movie calls for predictability and sentimentality. It obeys its generic constraints, and it does it well. It's supposed to pump you up and make you feel good. Also, it's got some sweet mid-70s rock, including 'Stranglehold' by Ted Nugent. And, finally, I like the little play on words between the title (Invincible) and the main character, Vince (i.e. 'the victor', 'the conqueror) Papale. One recurring motif in the movie's storyline is the accusation that Vince is a failure and always will be. But by the end, Vince lives up to his name and becomes 'invincible'.

Comments:
Man, you're talking like Marky Mark is a bad actor. I feel his good vibrations all the way from Boogie Nights to Four Brothers to The Fast and The Furious, where he acted under the name of Paul Walker.

Wahlberg was also really good in 8 Below...
 
Yeah, I'm not a huge Marky-Mar-as-actor fan, though he was quite a rapper back in '91. Plus, the last song on Music for the People (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001Y5A/sr=1-1/qid=1156801085/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-8411153-7796966?ie=UTF8&s=music) is called 'Last Song on Side B'--a nice homage to the cassette era. I mean, sure, he could have been talking about side B of a record, but I prefer to think of it in the tape deck.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?